Red Lentils | Mesir Wat
2 Tablespoons oil
1 heaping spoonful Ethiopia Spice Blend
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece ginger, minched
2 cups red lentils
1 can tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1. Place a large sauce pot over medium heat, and the oil and spices and cook 1-2 minutes or until spices have begun to simmer.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, and chopped onions and saute for 3-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
3. Next add the s tomato paste along with the salt. Add the lentils and 6 cups of water.
4. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Uncover and stir the lentils, then continue to cook uncovered for another 10-15 minutes until a thick porridge-like consistency is reached.